Sunday, June 01, 2008

KY Down Under

We have been promising to take Buzzy to KY Down Under since last summer. He had so much fun and I walked myself to death. We did everything there that they had to offer. The cave was the best part, temperature wise. I got to the end and wasn't sure that I had made the best decision to go on a cave tour. It had a couple narrow spots and some areas that you had to duck your head while climbing wet stairs. I made Steve hang on to Buzzy. They were in front of me and when they would get finished climbing, Steve would look back at me and just smile. I had told him that there wasn't as much walking at Ky Down Under as there was at Beech Bend Park. He reminded me of that a couple of times. At the very end of the cave, there were a whole bunch of steep stairs and when I got to the top, I was so happy to see the door leading out!
One of the first exhibits that we saw was in the wool shed. We missed the dog working the goats, but we got to see the different kinds of sheep and learn about them. They asked for volunteers and, of course, Buzzy was more than eager to help.
They told them to stand with a firm hold on the bottles. When the lambs had emptied the bottle, to drop the bottle on the ground and pick their lamb up and take it back to the stall.

Buzzy's lamb was a little frisky and he had to have help from Daddy. Daddy showed him how to pick it up.

He did good for a few steps and then it wiggled away. Buzzy held on and chased it for a second!

Daddy helped him get it in his arms one more time and he finally made it to the stall area with the wiggly critter! It was so funny!

They asked for volunteers again, and this time, they led in Faye, the milk cow. Buzzy got to milk Faye!

He just could not believe that he got to milk a cow! Just like on cartoons!


He went in the Lorikeet cage. We took him to the Louisville zoo when he turned two and he was not impressed witht he Lorikeets. He had a little bit of a nervous breakdown in the cage at the zoo. He was ready to try it again at KY Down Under. He was so proud of himself when the bird came down and ate from his cup of nectar!

Daddy liked feeding the birds too!

Buzzy kind of wanted the bird on his finger, but he wasn't for sure about it. He was being extremely cautious!

I understand the "proud as a peacock" saying now. This thing strutted all over the place. The man working said that during the winter, the peacock will walk up the squirrels and rabbits with his feathers fluffed trying to get attention! When we first walked up he turned toward me, just like he new what my camera was for!
It was love at first sight with Daddy and Camille the camel!

Kangaroos were all we heard about all day, so Daddy and I were so glad when he finally got to see one. We didn't know that he would get to pet one, so that made it even better for him!


The guide told him to pick up this ones tail to see how heavy it was. He liked this one the best. He was a pretty red color.

I've decided the next thing I want Steve to build for me is an aviary for parakeets! They had and enclosure with probably 300 parakeets. That was Steve's estimate! They gave us Popsicle sticks with peanut butter and bird seed and the birds would fly down and eat it off the stick. It was so neat. I told Steve that was the next thing that I wanted!



5 comments:

mimisboys said...

I'm glad Buzzy got to finally go. He's wanted to go for a long time. Can't wait to get home and hear him tell me all about it. (That peacock sure would be pretty at my house)

Leanne said...

Looks like so much fun! Maybe not if you are very pregnant but fun for everyone else. Abe would love this place too. I think both of our boys would live with the animals if allowed!

Hope you are feeling ok.

lucas' gigi said...

Oh I agree MiMi a P-cock would be so pretty at your house,guarding all the critters and the fish.Next thing Ellie Mae can get is a cow for fresh milk to go with the hen eggs mmmmm breakfast will soon be ready.

Wendy said...

Lucas loved KY Down Under. It's only a 35-40 minute drive for us. We'll have to go back again this year. He may be a little bit braver around some of the animals. Or, maybe I can just bring him to your house. So, when's breakfast????

Loving My Life said...

Looks like you all had a good time sounds like it was a little rough for you at times though! I have been wanting to take Morgan, maybe at the end of summer!